Friday, April 29, 2005

The Loss of Good Stewardship in Washington

We are supposed to put godly men in leadership positions. As Americans we seem to have let ourselves be led astray. The debate in the passing of the recent Bankruptcy reform, it seems our leaders think it is the citizens of America that have had a decline in morality, when they have forgotten that leaders must hold themselves to a higher standard.

As a small business owner I learned that my employees would exaggerate my faults. That was because as the leader, I was setting the example. I also found that me and my peers would often complain about our employees and their lack of personal responsibility. All the while, they were simply a reflection of me. I see this happening on a national level. Our leaders in Washington and the leaders of our largest corporations are blaming individual consumers for being irresponsible, when all the while we are following their lead.

Where is the morality in playing a con game with the poor and middle class to take their wealth? What else can you call misleading advertisements to sell abusive credit card agreements? Lending, in biblical times, was originally an act of charity to help the poor. (Exodus 22:25) They gave interest free loans, instead of gifts, to allow the receiver to maintain their dignity by paying it back. The reason for this was to avoid poverty in Israel's society and keep their economy strong. To reinforce this debts were forgiven every seven years. (Deuteronomy 15:1-6) The United States is doing the opposite today. Scripture isn't soft on this issue. Habakkuk 2:1-7. Lenders are supposed to be ethical and responsible and lend only to those in need (2 Thess. 3:10).

No comments: